Special Release on Vital Statistics Report: March 2023 Births in Laguna (Preliminary Results)

Reference Number: 


Release Date: 

Thursday, May 18, 2023

The number of live births for the month of March 2023 registered a total of 4,864. This showed an increase of 19.7 percent from 4,062 live births in March 2022. This gave a daily average occurrence of 157 babies or 7 babies every hour. There were more male babies (2,597 or 53.4 percent) than female babies 2,267 or 46.6 percent) during this period, resulting in a sex ratio of birth of 115 males for every 100 females.

Figure 1. Number of Registered Live Births by City/Municipality in Laguna: March 2023

City of Calamba had the highest recorded number of live births at 1,002 which accounts for 20.6 percent of the total. This was followed by Santa Cruz with 627 births and City of Biñan with 576 births or 12.9 percent and 11.8 percent, respectively.

On the other hand, municipalities of Rizal and Magdalena had the lowest number of births 3 and 12 registered births, respectively. These showed 0.1 percent and 0.2 percent of the total live births for the month of March 2023.


Table 1. Number of Registered Live Births by Type of Birth in Laguna: March 2023

Single babies born during the month constitute 99.0 percent by type of live births. Those who were born twins registered at 1.3 percent and those who were born triplets registered at 0.06 of the total births.


Figure 2. Percentage of Registered Live Birth by Legitimacy Status in Laguna: March 2023


Less than half of those born in March 2023 were legitimate (1,599 or 32.9 percent of the total). The illegitimate, on the other hand, comprised 3,265 live births or 67.1 percent. 


Figure 3. Number of Registered Live Birth by Attendant at Birth in Laguna: March 2023

In terms of attendant at birth, almost half of the live births (2,732 or 56.2 percent) were attended by physicians. It was followed by midwives with 1,413 live births or 29.1 percent. Services of traditional hilot comprised 13.3 percent with 647 live births.



This report presents statistics on births that were registered in Laguna for the month of March, year 2023. The data presented herein were obtained from the documents submitted by the Local Civil Registrars to the PSA Provincial Office and then processed thru DVSS2K system. Caution must be employed in interpreting the data since the figures were not adjusted in consideration of under registration.



Provincial Statistics Officer