The number of live births for the first quarter of 2023 registered a total of 14,115. This showed an increase of 18.1 percent from 11,951 live births in the first quarter of 2022. This gave a daily average occurrence of 157 babies or 7 babies every hour. There were more male babies (7,505 or 53.2 percent) than female babies 6,610 or 46.8 percent) during this period, resulting in a sex ratio of birth of 114 males for every 100 females.
Figure 1. Number of Registered Live Births by City/Municipality in Laguna: First Quarter 2023
City of Calamba had the highest recorded number of live births at 3,170 which accounts for 22.5 percent of the total. This was followed by City of Biñan with 1,618 births and Santa Cruz with 1,597 births or 11.5 percent and 11.3 percent, respectively.
On the other hand, municipalities of Rizal and Magdalena had the lowest number of births 19 and 33 registered births, respectively. These showed 0.1 percent and 0.2 percent of the total live births for the first quarter of 2023.
Table 1. Number of Registered Live Births by Type of Birth in Laguna: First Quarter 2023
Single babies born during the month constitute 98.9 percent by type of live births. Those who were born twins registered at 1.0 percent and those who were born triplets registered at 0.03 of the total births.
Figure 2. Percentage of Registered Live Birth by Legitimacy Status in Laguna: First Quarter 2023
Less than half of those born in the first quarter of 2023 were legitimate (4,561 or 32.3 percent of the total). The illegitimate, on the other hand, comprised 9,554 live births or 67.7 percent.
Figure 3. Number of Registered Live Birth by Attendant at Birth in Laguna: First Quarter 2023
In terms of attendant at birth, almost half of the live births (7,831 or 55.5 percent) were attended by physicians. It was followed by midwives with 4,187 live births or 29.7 percent. Services of traditional hilot comprised 13.8 percent with 1,943 live births.
This report presents statistics on births that were registered in Laguna for the first quarter of year 2023. The data presented herein were obtained from the documents submitted by the Local Civil Registrars to the PSA Provincial Office and then processed thru DVSS2K system. Caution must be employed in interpreting the data since the figures were not adjusted in consideration of under registration.
(SGD) MAGDALENA T. SERQUEÑA Provincial Statistics Officer