April 2020 Employment Situation in CALABARZON

Reference Number: 

2020-0400-SR06

Release Date: 

Thursday, June 18, 2020

SPECIAL RELEASE

Employment Situation in CALABARZON
 
 
Figure 1. Labor Force Participation Rate, CALABARZON:
April 2019 to April 2020
   Notes:   Estimates for January and April 2020 are preliminary and may change.
  Source:  Philippine Statistics Authority, Labor Force Survey
 
 
The number of persons in the labor force in CALABARZON could be placed at 6.4 million of the estimated 11.0 million population 15 years old and over in April 2020 (See summary statistics). This translates to a labor force participation rate (LFPR) of 58.3 percent, which means that five hundred eighty-three in one thousand of the population aged 15 years and over were either employed or unemployed. It was a decreased of 5.7 percent from the LFPR of January 2020 which was 64.0 percent and a 4.8 percent decrement from same period last year.
 
 
Employment rate decreased by 10.0 percent
 
Employment rate in April 2020 fell to 83.3 percent from 93.3 percent in January 2020 and from 94.6 percent in April 2019. This translates to only 5.4 million employed persons in April 2020 in the region from 6.4 million in April 2019.
 
Figure 2. Employment Rate CALABARZON:
April 2019 to April 2020
 Notes:   Estimates for January and April 2020 are preliminary and may change.   
Source:  Philippine Statistics Authority, Labor Force Survey
 
 
Unemployment rate is recorded at 16.7 percent
 
Of the estimated 6.4 million labor force in CALABARZON for the second quarter of the year, unemployment rate is estimated at 16.7 percent. It was the highest record as compared to the previous quarters’ unemployment rate since April 2019. The Corona virus or COVID-19 pandemic situation could be considered as the major factor that contributed to the abrupt increase. Many establishments have temporarily closed due to community quarantine or lockdown and many workers lost their jobs due to retrenchment in addition to the unemployed persons before the pandemic who remained jobless during the reference period.
 
Figure 3. Unemployment Rate, CALABARZON:
April 2019 to April 2020
    Notes:   Estimates for January and April 2020 are preliminary and may change.
   Source:  Philippine Statistics Authority, Labor Force Survey
 
 
Underemployment rate is registered at 23.7 percent
 
Figure 4. Underemployment Rate, CALABARZON:
April 2019 to April 2020
Notes:   Estimates for January and April 2020 are preliminary and may change.
Source:  Philippine Statistics Authority, Labor Force Survey
 
Underemployed persons were estimated at 1.3 million in April 2020. This number represented 23.7 percent of the total employed persons in the region.
 
Note: Underemployed persons are those who were employed but still express their desire to have additional hours of work in their present job or to have an additional job, or have a new job with longer working hours.
 
SUMMARY STATISTICS
 
 
CALABARZON
2019
2020
April
July
October
January
April
Total Population 15 Years Old (in '000)
10,670
10,348
10,343
10,935
11,042
Labor Force (in '000)
6,733
6,819
6,630
6,998
6,437
Labor Force Participation Rate
63.1
65.9
64.1
64.0
58.3
Employment (in '000)
6,369
6,328
6,245
6,530
5,362
Employment Rate
94.6
92.8
94.2
93.3
83.3
Unemployment (in '000)
364
491
385
469
1,075
Unemployment Rate
5.4
7.2
5.8
6.7
16.7
Underemployment (in '000)
688
778
712
757
1,271
Underemployment Rate
10.8
12.3
11.4
11.6
23.7
Notes:   Estimates for January and April 2020 are preliminary and may change.
Details may not add up to totals due to rounding.
Source: Philippine Statistics Authority, Labor Force Survey
 
 
Highlights
 
  • The labor force population in April 2020 was estimated at 6.4 million in CALABARZON. This translates to 58.3 percent of labor force participation rate (LFPR).
  • Total employed persons in the region for the second quarter were approximately 5.4 million or a regional employment rate of 83.3 percent.
  • Total unemployed persons were 1.1 million or unemployment rate of 16.7 percent.
  • Underemployment rate was estimated at 23.7 percent or approximately 1.2 million persons out of the 5.4 million employed in the region.
 
 
 
(SGD)
CHARITO C. ARMONIA
Regional Director
 
 
BFP/COB/JGM

Tags: 

Attachments: