Statistics on Building Construction
A construction permit or building permit is a permit required in most jurisdictions for new construction, or adding onto pre-existing structures, and in some cases for major renovations. Generally, the new construction must be inspected during construction and after completion to ensure compliance with national, regional, and local building codes. Failure to obtain a permit can result in significant fines and penalties, and even demolition of unauthorized construction if it cannot be made to meet code.
Building Construction in Batangas Province
1. The total number of constructions generated from approved building permits for the year 2020 reached 5,680. This number decreased by -26.1 percent compared to 7,684 constructions recorded in 2019.
2. Residential constructions recorded a faster decline with -32.5 percent in 2020 than the decrease in 2019 with an annual rate of -1.7 percent. Majority (77.1%) of the residential constructions were single-type houses.
3. Non-residential constructions numbering to 589 posted a -49.0 percent decrease from 1,156 recorded during the same period of previous year. Most (66.6%) of the non-residential constructions were commercial buildings.
4. Additions to existing structures with 17 projects in 2020 increase by 88.9 percent from 9 recorded in 2019. Meanwhile, alterations and repairs of existing structures increased by 83.5 percent to 1,066 in 2020 from 581 projects recorded of previous year.
5. Total value of constructions reached PHP 9,705,748 million in 2020, representing a decrease of -26.11 percent from the previous year’s construction value of PHP17,892,302 million.